Friday, July 17, 2009

I hosted Book Club (otherwise known as GAB: Girls About Books) last night. I was excited about the menu...which was centered around this month's theme of Guilty Pleasures. Here's how it panned out:

Success:
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches, Blueberry Goat Cheese Salad, Dill Dip, Mini Mushroom Onion and Bacon Quiche Bites, Sweet Onion Dip, Sangria

Failure:
Mini spinach and cheese quiche bites

I was disappointed by the low attendance - a couple of the girls emailed late in the day or in the evening to say they couldn't make it and two didn't even let me know. It's hard because you don't want to chastise someone for not coming for whatever reason - we all have busy lives - but at the same time, if you make a commitment, you should show up! I love hosting and enjoyed making all of the food and getting the house ready - but it is a lot of work and expense and I feel frustrated when everyone else has had a great turnout and mine was the one people skipped. Also - no one read the book! It was like a sixth grade reading level, it took me all of two hours...why couldn't people make an effort to at least read a summary online? Aggravating, very aggravating. I did appreciate the people who DID come - it was so fun to have them over and get to chat up a bit with them.

So I didn't have my most favorite book club ever. I woke up this morning all sorts of melancholy and couldn't shake it. If there was any possible way I could have gotten away with staying in bed all day long - I would have. My noggin is also bothering me a lot today - sort of that woozy feeling that I haven't had in ages, where my world sways a bit and you try to shake away the cobwebs and instead it just hurts.

2 comments:

  1. I loved it! And the appetizers were dilish. I need the recipe for the dips. Like, neeeeeed them.
    Maybe what you need is a good, relaxing week/weekend. Nothing planned,no expectations, just some good quiet time with a special someone;-) It seems you've been go-go-go for the past number of weeks, so maybe some r&r is what it will take to shake that feeling.
    I suggested to JW that she send an email out asking others to vote on the book, b/c like this time, it appears that the success rate of reading the book is so-so. We'll see if that works.

    feel better!

    ReplyDelete