Darker Than Blue Café review
Neighborhood: Gritty. My brother and sister in law were especially uncomfortable. This is midly entertaining because I am moving there next month.
Décor and Music: Fairly low key - paintings done by an ex-Penn Satte football player who doesn't believe in studying any of the art masters because he doesn't want his own style influenced; easy-listening jazz that may have come from my grandfather's ipod.
Service: Unbelieveably bad. They didn't have enough menus to use through the whole restaurant so they demanded we order immediately even though we were still waiting for two people to arrive. They never refilled out water glasses, told us we couldn't drink the beer we brought even though the website says it is BYOB, didn't check on us throughout the meal and were not gracious about pretty much anything. I believe the hostess was borderline retarded.
Food: DELICIOUS. The cornbread and honeybutter were enough to get me excited about the upcoming food. I believe I ordered the best option - ribs, sauteed spinach with garlic, candied yams, macaroni and cheese, salad. E had the next best: fried chicken and waffles. Oh, yeah. Everyone else's looked good, too...but mine was so good that I am willing to look past the neighborhood and service and gladly show up again. The only bad point was the piece of birthday pie brought out for my cousin Devin that had a whole bunch of mold on it...but it IS a Baltimore summer, so I think sometimes that happens.
Verdict: I'll be back. E and I already have our dining companions picked out - some foodies that will love a local "unknown" soul food spot.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am willing to look past poor service for amazing food, but you've got me a little concerned with the notion that the BYOB is a fib. I can deal with retarded hostesses but being rushed to make a snap decision regarding food might make my "horns" come out. Although, based on what you described, I doubt they would g.a.f. what I said.
ReplyDeleteSo, I want to try it now ;-)Bill is a huge fan of ribs.
We could bring wine and champagne (which we had) but not the beer. This was particularly strange because although the chef poured my cousin Devin one beer at a time (saying he would make an exception) my other friend, Shawn, wasn't able to get that priviledge simply because Shawn had arrived slightly later and wasn't at the table when the chef was and the hostess wouldn't allow it.
ReplyDeleteYeah... that review ensured I'd never ever go there. Stupid seriously annoys me. Don't lie about the BYOB, that's just dumb. Send someone to Kinkos or borrow your dad's office copier and make enough copies of your damn menu. And come on... mold on the cake, that's just more stupid... just a thought... look down at what you're taking to the customers who will be paying your tip - wipe it off if you have to, but jeez people, look at it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the food was yummy though.