Friday, June 26, 2009

Scaaaaaary Next Door Neighbor

I had the most bizarre situation this morning...so I went to Es house last night after Book Club to stay over and there wasn't any power on his block, so it was pretty warm but still lovely to see him. He got up around 5 and left for work. I got up at 7, showered in the dark and took all my stuff downstairs, figuring I would put on my make-up in the living room because there was more light. I am just getting myself situated when there is a banging on the front door. I think maybe the dog walker is here early, so I open the door and this man stumbles past me - he's covered in blood and yelling for E. I don't recognize this guy, but he is acting like he knows me, asking to use my phone and to take a look at his bloodied and swollen face. As I pass over my pink razor (thinking it would be easier to clean than my blackberry) I realize this is Es next door neighbor whom I met in the dark last night when I was walking up to the house last night.

Although the situation is freaking me out, I decide that I can handle it and try to get things under control. I get him a bag of melting ice (still no power, remember) and wait for him to finish his phone call. That's when things start getting stranger: he leaves the house while I'm getting the ice, comes back with a heap of bloody clothing which he asks for a bag to put them into, then places them on the coffee table while he leaves again to come back with his address book. He's making numerous calls but no one is picking up, and he's not leaving any messages. He's swaying back and forth and alternately getting up and bolting from one room to another and then plopping down on the sofa - closer and closer to me. I grab the dog and hold on to her. He tries to walk out the back door, but I'd had E lock it from the inside and then put the key away so that no one could break in - and now there's this crazy man INSIDE the house, trying to get out. So he comes back over to me and starts saying all this stuff - about how the EMT's just left him and told him to walk home, how the police took his wallet and phone and then laughed at him when he requested it back, how he's not so hard looking on the eyes normally, how he heard that I'm the hottest girl at Sylvan, how happy he is that I'm having s*x (spam filter) with E and that I hung around this morning so he could use my phone, how he hates lying and I think he's talking about lying both to his work and his wife - and I am just getting really, REALLY uncomfortable and I don't know how to end this, so I just say I'm getting late for work and after about another 5 minutes, he leaves. I make sure the door is locked so he can't get back in and then I head out to work.

This really shook me up, even though nothing happened and I'm sure this guy (whatever his name is) thinks nothing of the entire interaction. How weird, right? And all at seven in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. WHAT?!? Geesh. So what did E say when he got home or as you were explaining this whole situation?
    You're a trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't thrilled with E's reaction regarding my story...he was clearly upset over the fact that his neighbor put me in this very Pretty-Woman-when-Richard-Gere's-employee-hits-on-Julia-Roberts-because-he-thinks-he-can-sleep-with-her type of situation, but it's hard to know what to do because it IS his next door neighbor! I have decided never to open the door to him again if I am there alone and to be polite but distant. His wife told us yesterday that he was "jumped" which I do not believe is the truth...so he lied to her about it - hard to know how to handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gross. Lock that door. I think you nailed it on the head with the Pretty Woman corrilation. 'nuf said.

    ReplyDelete